Thursday, September 16, 2010

familiarity.


[listening to: happier- a fine frenzy]

i was walking home from school today and as i stepped from the pavement to the grass, under-watered and slightly browned, it smelled like home. it smelled like soccer practices in autumn and i felt so happy. it was weird because i never really take in my surroundings fully on my almost daily walk home. but today was different. i put my phone up and just noticed things... people resting and then feeling the urge to smoke, grass trying to breathe in the september heat, and dragonflies everywhere. i got to thinking how strange it is... that a smell can bring back so many memories, of people and places. i felt like throwing my backpack down and lacing up my cleats for a quick pickup game. i would like nothing more than to have that familiarity back in my life--the camaraderie, the competition, the game.

and i looked up in the sky this afternoon and noticed that the clouds resembled the tips of sand dunes. i was right back on lake michigan again with my brothers, my parents, and my youth. today, i fell in love with life and its beauty once again.

it's funny how a smell, a cloud in the sky... can jog so many memories and bring so much joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment